Greenhouse part 2

Click the link below to see the beginnings of the greenhouse and shelving photos.

 Greenhouse part 1 

Greenhouse part 3

All framed up

There is still snow on the ground, as you can see. It was not all that warm Saturday or Sunday and with the snow melting, we’re working in mud puddles, it’s just really no fun.

We had thought about putting a door on the back side as that leads right into the garden, but in the end, decided against. I’ll get about 6 more sq. feet of shelving space without the door.

The top of the frames are attached to the panels. Or rather, the panels are attached to the top of the frame with fencing staples. We should not have any issues with snow accumulations caving the greenhouse in but using any more than 2 panels, and you may want to consider using either a ridge pole or vertical supports. As it is with this one, Jeremiah can hang from the center without it flinching. He can also stand up straight and still have head room. It’s a nice sized little greenhouse and will serve its purpose for us well even allowing us to overwinter some things. Maybe next year we’ll have a larger greenhouse. And while last years cold frames served their purpose well, this project was sort of a “get us by” quicky. I don’t know how long the plastic may last .

The horizontal 2×4’s are on either side (back of  greenhouse) will hold the shelves. I’ll get about 100 sq. feet of shelving space, not too bad =). Using the ground under the shelves will give be about 32 more square feet.

Ground leveled

The ground had to be leveled a bit. Our garden is on a hill though this corner is pretty well flat.

back framed up.

We used 100+ year old recycled bricks for the floor. These will allow for better drainage and also act as insulators and radiant heat. The bricks should heat up during the day and release the heat slowly overnight.

front of greenhouse

front of greenhouse

Doing something the first time always has its challenges in figure it all out. If you ever build something again, it always goes more smoothly! This was our first time constructing a hoop house. I wondered how we’d apply the plastic to the back and front of the greenhouse. I’ve seen them with full plastic on the front but because the greenhouse is accessible to the orchard/front pen where the round bales are and we do let the pigs and goats out in it occasionally, knowing both of these animals tendencies, I felt better about having wood at least half way up.

We covered the edges of the panels with gorilla tape (makers of gorilla glue) so the tips of the panels would not go through the plastic. I was a little unhappy the tape only came in black (and smells like stale Chinese food!) but I wanted guaranteed water resistance over pretty so colored duct tape was out of the question. Drew wanted camo or Sponge Bob duct take. I did consider it for a minute.

We took a sheet of plastic the width of the roll (8′) by 4′ and carefully worked it between the panel and the plastic on the “roof”. I thought we’d cut an arch and seam the two with tape but having it go under the roof plastic creates a much better seal. We then took one long piece of tape and covered the seam along the outer edge.

I should have painted the wood before applying the plastic to the front but it’s supposed to rain next weekend and I needed this thing done. Seeds have to be started. We have lots of left over trim from remodeling our house I’ll just affix that to the front.



back framed up.

back framed up.

recycled bricks for drainage and to help hold heat.

recycled bricks for drainage and to help hold heat.

recycled door from 100+ year old house

recycled door from 100+ year old house

So, there it is. I cannot calculate up total cost for this because so much of it was recycled. If I had to guess I’d say about $100. It’s as solid as a rock and not going anywhere with our winds. We did have  little mishap while it was still just the roof up. We had winds so bad the weekend after the hoop was done, it tore the plastic from the 2×6 frame. I thought for sure it would be trashed but it did not do too much damage after all. And not that it’s full enclosed, there should be no issues with it creating a rind tunnel.

I was the lucky one who got to work inside shimmying the “wall” plastic between “roof” and panel. It was nice and toasty in there!! Now for some paint to protect it from the elements!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: